MINUTES OF THE PAPATOETOE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday 20th February 2023 6.00 p.m. in the Meeting Room
Jeremy Nicholls [Presiding Member], Peter Cann and Mohammed Sahu-Khan – [MoE appointed Trustees], Kimiora Parata and Lofi Tuala – [Parent Elected Trustees], Lilien Skudder [Staff appointed Trustee] and Pauline Cornwell – [Principal]
Barbara Ferregel [Board Secretary] and Tamara Gersbach [RTLB Cluster Manager]
Apologies– Darryl Wilson [MoE appointed Trustee] and Leigh Manukau [Parent Elected Trustee]
Thank you Kimiora for the Karakia
Jeremy handed the meeting to the Principal, Pauline Cornwell to call for Board Chair nominations.
– Peter Cann nominated Jeremy Nicholls
– Seconded – Lilien Skudder
o Jeremy accepted
o As there were no more nominations – Congratulations Jeremy
– Jeremy then called for nominations for Deputy Chair
o Mohammed nominated Peter Cann
o Seconded Kimiora Parata
- Peter did not accept the nomination at this stage as he shared with the Board that he will not be making himself available for election at the next Elections.
o Kimiora nominated Mohammed Sahu Kahn
o Seconded Lofi Tuala
Mohammed would like to think about this
o Lofi nominated Lillien Skudder
o Pauline explained that the Staff Rep is unable to hold the position of Chair or Deputy Chair due to Conflict of Interest
– It was decided to hold the appointment of a Deputy Chair over until the March Meeting.
o Peter will continue as Deputy Chair in the interim
Welcome to Tamara Gersbach – RTLB Cluster Manager
– Tamara presented her February Report as a hard copy, and it was also in the Board Folder
– Tamara explained how her report reads and highlighted parts of the report to members
o Structured Literacy
o Counselling services
o Learning Support Funding
o Strategic Plan
o Risks – all manageable
Jeremy moved that Tamara’s report is accepted.
Carried – unanimously
Previous minutes – 28th November 2022
● Moved as a correct record Peter
Matters arising – Nil
– School has not spent a lot of money because of the holidays
o Board costs were higher over the year as more Board members went on Conferences than expected.|
o Audit confirmation report. All signed off now.
o Still unsure of the final cost of the new Admin Area. Invoices still coming in.
– Pauline moved that the Board accept the November/December financial Reports
Property reports shared with members
– 5 YA additional money – was spent on our Admin Project
– Main entrance still needs a lot of outside work done. Front entrance will need some sort of wind and rain protection.
– Code of compliance is in the process – Certificate of public use at the moment.
– December 2022 Cyclical Maintenance was tabled and discussed.
o Moved – Pauline
o Seconded – Jeremy
o Carried – unanimously
– Letter received from the Ministry notifying the school of the calculation of 5YA for 2024 – to be in place by the end of 2023.
Principal’s Report – taken as read – Shared with the Board in the Board Folder and hard copies
– Scheduled Principals Paid Union meeting has been deferred until Tuesday 21st February.
– 27th February PUM for Teachers. School closes at 1.00 p.m.
– Annual Plan Report discussed
– Pauline proposed that TOD scheduled for 26th April is moved to Monday 25th August.
– Late out of zone applications – 22 on the waiting list. Families were notified last week that they were unsuccessful. Some families have said they may attend a Board
Meeting to express their disappointment.
– Approval required to spend another $5,000.00 on the new Admin Area.
– Moving staffroom – quote came in very high. Waiting to hear if there is money within the Project of the ‘old’ Admin area.
– Roll is rising. Hoping for the roll to stay at around 700. It was 722 today – Monday 20th February.
– Stand down and Suspension data from 2021 and 2022 discussed. Vaping is a problem and will not be tolerated.
– Opera NZ. No cost to students.
– Funding applications withdrawn due to the person who was doing this had left the company and all applications were withdrawn.
– Container for bikes flooded in the first lot of heavy rain. Bikes were all washed and CRCd and they are all good to go.
– Jeremy moved that a Subcommittee is not required to secure a new Cleaning Contract. Happy for Pauline to make the decision. Seconded – Peter. Carried unanimously.
– Afternoon Study Centre – run by staff members. All have separate Contracts.
Approvals/Recommendations discussed and to be approved :-
– Analysis of Variance
– Annual Plan
– Blake Explorers Camp
– Change of TOD
– Cyclical Maintenance
– Accept Cluster Managers Report
– Accept Principals Report
– $5.000.00 for the Admin Area.
Moved – Peter
Seconded – Mohammed
Carried – Unanimously
Correspondence and tabled documents
– Student achievement 2022
– NZ opera
– Watersheds offer of sponsorship for EOTC Week – letter of thanks to Watershed
– Annual Plan
– Code of Conduct – updated version shared with Members. To be discussed at the March meeting.
– Dragon Community Trust – Rejection letter for our funding application
– Study Centre Annual Report
Correspondence and tabled documents
– Rihannah and Tevita [Head girl and boy] and their families to be invited to the March Board Meeting.
– Waitangi/Paihia Staff Trip
– Kimi joined the staff for these 2 days. Very full on and informative. Helped us to understand the requirements of the Board and was great to get to know the Staff.
Such a great ‘Team Building’ exercise.
– Lilien had been in November with NZSTA – really appreciated the two days with our staff. General learning and team building. Dinner out and our accommodation
very much appreciated.
– Everyday Matters Term 4 2022 attendance data – very difficult to read. Our attendance is better than the average – nationally.
– Lofi mentioned that the Manukau Courts had moved their Celebration Day to Saturday 18th March.
– Would our Kapahaka Group be able to perform?
– Pauline will talk with the Kapahaka Leader [Ihia] and let Lofi know.
At 7.45 p.m. Jeremy moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
The Board moved to continue with the In Committee meeting.
The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 8.30 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.
Meeting closed at 8.30 p.m.-
Next Meeting on 27th March 2023 at 6.00 p.m.