MINUTES OF THE PAPATOETOE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday 26th June 2023 6.00 p.m. in the Meeting Room
Jeremy Nicholls [Presiding Member] Peter Cann – [MoE appointed Trustees], Lilien Skudder [Staff appointed Trustee], Lofi Tuala, Leigh Manukau [Parent Elected Trustee] and Kimiora Parata [Deputy Chair – Parent Elected Trustee] and Pauline Cornwell – [Principal]
Barbara Ferregel [Board Secretary], Gareth Fletcher [Associate Principal], Maddy Cooke [PE/Sport/Heath], Sian Strachan [School Counsellor] and Lee-Anne Keates [Financial Manager].
Darryl Wilson and Mohammed Sahu-Khan [MoE appointed Trustee]
Thank you, Leigh for the Karakia,
– Sian Strachan – School Counsellor [2 days a week at our school and one day for RTLB – employed under a teaching contract but is both a qualified and registered teacher and qualified counsellor].
– Sian shared the Term 1 break down
– Sian explained her current case load
– Since starting Sian’s case numbers have increased
– Thoughts around student well being
– Student voice
– As a Student what would increase your well being at school?
– loyal friends
– playground unity
– respect from peers
– From Sian
– space in the school that students could go to in break time – drop in place where a teacher or adult were
present. The place could have lego/colouring/art and craft available for students to work with.
– Library is a safe place at the moment
– Feedback that Sian is receiving from students is that her programme and presence in the school is
positive and working.
The Board understands that Sian’s employment is covered by staffing rather than coming out of Operations funding.
Thank you Sian
Welcome to Lee-Anne Keates – budget review
– ‘Draft’ statement of comprehensive revenue and expense detailed – documents shared with members
– Lee-Anne presented the predicted working capital
– Tracking well
– Funded on 730 students and we are now at 757
– 1st July return will show our updated enrolment numbers
– New Admin area spending is tracking high due to furniture purchases
Pauline moved the budget review and financial documents are accepted.
RTLB do not have to pay back anything to the Ministry.
– Well done Tamara and Pauline
– Statement of financial position [balance sheet] budget approved by the Board and signed by
Jeremy – Board Chair
– Financial graph – Peter would like to see this re formatted
– Pauline moved that the Board accept the June School and RTLB Reports, Financial,
Commentaries, Bank Statements and Visas and approvals/recommendations.
Thank you Lee-Anne
Jeremy shared the Board’s thanks and appreciated all Lee-Anne and Anna are doing.
Lee-Anne is feeling good and was very happy with the way the audit went. Anna’s support is invaluable.
Welcome to Gareth Fletcher and Maddy Cooke [Health and PE leaders]
– Gareth shared with the Board the ‘key area of learning’ for PE
– Term 3 – interactive screen in the school [fantastic for co-ordination]
– Our school Facebook page highlights our sports so far this year.
– Sports Academy – sports camp in September.
– Camp – ideally term 1 is the best term for School Camp – bonding etc. But it is very hard to get a
– Health [taught by every classroom teacher across the school]
– Life Education – support the teaching in the classroom
– Well Being
– Cool Schools
– Values and Beliefs
– Teach inclusion
– EOTC/Risk Analysis
– RAMS – Gareth explained to the Board how a RAMS document works. Our school tend to be over
– RAMS at July meeting for Sports Camp in September
– All RAMS come to the Board for checking, approving and signing off.
- Board members reiterated that student safety is paramount and that they would rather the school not be involved in ‘risky’ activities.
Thank you Gareth and Maddy
The normal meeting resumed at 7.20 p.m.
– Previous minutes – 29th May 2023
Moved as a correct record Lilien
– Peter’s son-n-law is an ex professional League player not current
– NZSTA paperwork shared with members
– Thursday 20th July to Sunday 23rd July
– Pauline, Jeremy, Lilien, Leigh, Lofi and Kimi attending
– Take school van – Lilien happy to drive
– Pauline will chat with Gareth
– Nothing happening at the moment
– Jeremy’s email to Corrine re roll growth and property issues
– Letters on mass always work better [squeaky wheel]
Moved the Property Report is accepted Jeremy
Principal’s Report –
– Shared with the Board in the Board Folder and hard copies available.
– Assuming all members have read the report and read all the links online.
– Wed 19th whanau hui at 5.30 pm. – Leigh and Jeremy will attend
– overseas teachers – email re authentication
– 40 applicants for current advertised vacancy – closes on 30th June [will only appoint if our roll gets to
– Term dates for 2024
– RTLB change in mileage to 0.83 as per change in collective agreement
– Staffing appointment updates
Recommendations Approved Lofi
– RTLB numbers likely to be reduced
– Pauline and Tamara attended PD
– RTLB have all received a letter notifying them of this
– Waiting on 1st July roll numbers for the area before the Cluster hear whether they will have staff
– Jenny Salesa met with Pauline and Tamara and encouraged then to write a letter of concern. This has
been done and will be signed by Jeremy, Pauline and Tamara before going to Jenny. [correspondence
Peter left the meeting at 7.30 pm.
Correspondence and tabled documents
– Jeremy’s email to Corrine Peters – re roll growth and property issues
– SWIS report – shared with members
– Membership Matters – NZSTA Delegate to be appointed to vote at the AGM
Pauline nominated Jeremy – Jeremy accepted
Correspondence and tabled documents
– Conflict of Interest forms signed by members present.
– Still to complete – Mohammed and Darryl.
– Need to tighten up this document.
– Code of Conduct for Board Members – signed by members present.
– Still to sign – Darryl and Mohammed.
– Group photo for website – will try again in July and hopefully we have all members present
– Mike Hayden [living in Waihi now] is organising a Reunion for colleagues who attended Otara
Intermediate from 1953 to 1967.
– School will provide a light afternoon tea.
– School will provide venue – Tech Arts space
– Student Leaders will be invited to host and hand around food
– Would be nice to have Board Members present too
– Leigh will attend and share the invite with her Aunty
– Barb to share Mike Hayden’s email with all staff and Board Members
At 7.45 p.m. Jeremy moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
The Board moved to continue with the In Committee meeting.
The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 8.00 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.
Meeting closed at 8.05 p.m.
Next Meeting on 24th July 2023 at 6.00 p.m.