MINUTES OF THE PAPATOETOE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday 28th November 2022 6.00 p.m. in the Principal’s Office
Jeremy Nicholls [Presiding Member], Peter Cann and Mohammed Sahu-Khan – [MoE appointed Trustees], Leigh Manukau, Kimiora Parata and Lofi Tuala – [Parent Elected Trustees], Lilien Skudder [Staff appointed Trustee] and Pauline Cornwell – [Principal]
Barbara Ferregel [Board Secretary]
Apologies– Darryl Wilson [MoE appointed Trustee]
Thank you Jeremy for the Karakia
Welcome to Tamara Gersbach – RTLB Cluster Manager
– November Report
Funding agreement between the Ministry, Board and RTLB. Very clear in the Board report showing the Board the yearly progress.
– Asset register is all updated and accepted
– Refreshed Strategic Plan and Annual Plan that sits behind it 2023 – 2025
– Annual Narrative [to be approved]
– Te Ropu Kairanga o Manawanui Strategic Plan – 2023 to 2025.
– Strategic Plan 2023 – 2025 FOLA
– Focuses on Pacifica Education
Previous minutes – 31st October 2022
Moved as a correct record Peter
– Letter to family thanking them for the Camp donation
Principal’s Report – taken as read – Shared with the Board in the Board Folder and hard copies
– 4 resignations
– 1 appointment
– Paid immigration and registered so that we can appoint overseas teachers
– Interviewed 2 overseas teachers who we would like to employ
– Waiting on approximately 50 late in zone enrolments for Year 7 2023
– Initial student data in – data reports to the Board before the end of this year
– International Day on Friday 25th November
– Amazing day – with performances and food
– Careers Day on 23rd November – this was a great success
Overseen by Watershed – October Property report shared with members
– Update from MoE re funding was included with the Principal’s Report
– Old Admin – rotten floor in staffroom
o Consent issued and funding approved for Admin Block work to start
– Mt Richmond Satellite classes – MoE has accepted the Master Plan and suggested placement.
– RTLB Meeting room relocation has been confirmed as part of the project along with the hard courts to be located outside rooms 2 – 10.
– Watershed Property Report
o Shade sails checked
o 2 new drinking fountains approved – Mountain Fresh
o Window winders will not be happening as MoE funding does not apply to our type of winders.
o Old Admin Block – AS Jacobs managing the project
§ May need approval over the Christmas break – if this happens Board Members will be emailed.
o Cyclical maintenance was discussed and approved
– Paid Union meetings for teachers and principals
o There may be possible strike action in the near future.
– Board would like to receive a copy of the Skodel Annual Report
o Invite Gareth to the February meeting to report to the Board on how Skodel works and what is the
engagement from staff and students.
– NZSTA renewal
o Very worthwhile to have their support.
o Lots of benefits
– Strategic Plan doc – to be approved at February 2023 meeting
o Accepted it as a tabled document
– Accept the Principal’s Report and approvals
– 2023 updated budget for the school and RTLB shared with the Board
– Thank you to Anna for supporting Lee-Anne with her transition into her Financial Managers position.
Lee-Anne has picked up all this support and is doing a great job.
Pauline moved that the Board accept the October financial Reports
Correspondence and tabled documents
– School Tex letter – increase in School Tshirt price
– Change in Regular Attendance – comparitive documents from the Ministry [our school attendance is
higher than the national average]
– Everyday Matters Attendance Data
– RTLB – Te Ropu Kairanga O Manawanui Strategic Plan 2023
– RTLB – Colour code tracking sheet for progress across 2023
Correspondence and tabled documents
Board members have all been invited to:
– Awards Ceremonies and Year 8 Graduation
Monday 12th December
– Team Puanga – 9.00 am.
Team Rehua – 12.00 p.m.
– Supreme Prize Giving – 14th December at 11.30 a.m.
– Jeremy, Lofi, Kimiora and Lilien attending
Are you coming to Waitangi?
24th to the 25th January 2023 [confirmed Kimiora]
Journey to Te Tiriti
– 26th and 27th November
– Lofi and Lilien reported on the 2 days
o Fantastic 2 days
o Treaty Grounds Tour and information was amazing. Very empowering.
Because Heather is no longer on the Board – we do miss the RTLB input.
– We have previously contacted NZSTA requesting we co-opt another staff member, and this was a ‘no’
from NZSTA – we cannot have 2 staff reps of the Board.
Paying Board Members to attend Suspension Hearings
– Discussed but not needed at this stage.
Student representatives invited to March Board Meeting
– To organise this early next year.
At 7.15 p.m. Jeremy moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
The Board moved to continue with the In Committee meeting.
The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 7.30 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.
Meeting closed at 7.30 p.m.-
Next Meeting on 20th February 2023 at 6.00 p.m.