BOARD MINUTES – 30th January 2024

by | Feb 20, 2024


Date 30th January 2024
Time 6.00 p.m.
Present Jeremy Nicholls [Presiding Member] Peter Cann and Darryl Wilson – [MoE appointed Trustees], Lilien Skudder [Staff appointed Trustee] Lofi Tuala and Leigh Manukau [Parent Elected Trustee]and Pauline Cornwell – [Principal]
In Attendance Barbara Ferregel – Principal’s PA/Board Secretary
Apologies Mohammed Sahu Khan – [MoE appointed Trustees], Kimiora Parata [Parent Elected Trustee/Deputy Chairperson]
Minute taker Barbara Ferregel

Welcome and Karakia

  • Thank you Darryl for the Karakia.

Conflict of Interest
Members declared that according to the printed agenda no one had a conflict of interest with any business to be discussed this evening.
Moved Jeremy Nicholls

  • Election of Board Chair [Presiding Member] and Vice Chair –
    Jeremy handed the meeting over to Pauline Cornwell, Principal
    Pauline called for nominations for the Board Chair 2024.
    Jeremy nominated by Darryl Wilson
    Seconded    Leigh
  • Jeremy accepted the position but did feel very over loaded last year so may seek more support from Members during this year.
  • Pauline checked and there were no other nominations Pauline declared that Jeremy Nicholls is the Presiding Member of 2024.

Jeremy then called for nominations for Deputy Chair
In Kimi’s absence Jeremy nominated Kimi
Seconded – Peter
–     Barb to contact Kimi to make sure she is happy to accept this position.

Confirmation of precious Minutes
•    Pauline Cornwell moved that the minutes of the 27th November 2023 are a true and correct record of the meeting.
Seconded      Peter

Matters Arising               Nil

•   November and draft December Finance Report and commentaries
•   Visa payment for both the School, Papatoetoe Principals and RTLB
•   Bank statements
•   RTLB November and draft December Financial Report
•   Credit Card spending – both school, Pap Principals and RTLB

Moved the November School and RTLB Finances are approved – Lilien Skudder
Seconded                          Jeremy Nicholls

  • December
    Deficit looks a little alarming due to a $2,000.00 deficit, however we are still waiting on funding of $52,000.00 from the Ministry for the additional student.
  • Nice to see the Investment Income has increased.
  • Moved the draft December School and RTLB Finances – Jeremy Nicholls
  • Carried


•    Fix for Mt Richmond classes and Weathertightness projects are both Ministry projects. Ministry have appointed Watershed
to run the projects.
•    Mt Richmond project is finished – to be signed off on 31st January 2024
•    Weathertightness due to start very soon.
•    Delegated Authority for Pauline to complete these documents within the Ministry portal.
•    The Mt Richmond fix project
•    The Weathertightness [old Admin] project
Moved                Lilien Skudder
Seconded           Lofi Tuala

  • Letter of confirmation regarding – Block 1 Weathertightness Remediation
  • Staff bathrooms are not good. All need to be replaced – 5YA Project
  • Moved Property report is accepted            Peter Cann
    Seconded                                                   Lilien Skudder

Principals Report

  • RTLB Budget update
  • Staffing
    • 10 new staff – all settling in well
    • Hard work working with Immigration to get our overseas teachers in. Long slow process.
  • ERO
    • Lots of communication with ERO. Jeremy and Pauline spent a lot of time going backwards and forwards requesting the final ERO report. Arrived late January 2024.
    • Board was all given a hard copy of the report
      • Discussion as to how disappointing the process of this ERO review was.
    • Board were very happy with the final report.
  • Curriculum Progress Report EOY 2023
    • Pauline read through the document with Members and explained how the graphs/comparing of data work.
    • Suggested the Board go away and have a good look through the data and email any questions to Barbara by the 12th February – Tracy and Donna will answer these and have the summary available for the 19th February meeting.
  • Study Centre money
    • Need to clarify what we are able to spend it on.
    • Ministry like the way the Study Centre runs. Students are doing what they should be doing and food supplied is very adequate.
  • Pauline moved that –
    • Principal’s report is accepted
      Seconded     Leigh


  • Thank you letter from Mike Hayden re the Reunion on Saturday 18th November 2023.
  • Thank you letters to Leadership Members/Admin Team Members from the Board
    • If Members would like to read these letters please let Barbara know and they can be shared with you. [Admin letter and one leadership letter in January Board Folder]
      Moved      Jeremy Nicholls

Other Business

  • Swimming Carnival RAMs
    • Copies shared with the Board
      • Moved                Jeremy
  • Who will be going to NZSTA Conference in Wellington – 6 – 9th June 2024?
    • Jeremy               –             Maybe
    • Lofi                      –            Yes
    • Leigh                   –            Yes
    • Kimi                    –             possibly
    • Mohammed      –               possibly
    • Lillien                  –             Yes
    • Pauline               –             Maybe

At 7.30 p.m. Jeremy Nicholls moved – Carried by all present – that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 7.50 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.

Meeting closed at 8.00 p.m.

Next Meeting – Monday 19th February 2024 at 6.00 p.m. in the Main Meeting Room