PAPATOETOE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL BOARD MINUTES
|30th October 2023
|Jeremy Nicholls [Presiding Member] Darryl Wilson, Peter Cann and Mohammed Sahu Khan – [MoE appointed Trustees], Lilien Skudder [Staff appointed Trustee] and Lofi Tuala [Parent Elected Trustee] and Pauline Cornwell – [Principal]
|Barbara Ferregel – Principal’s PA/Board Secretary
Tamara Gersbach – RTLB Cluster Manager
|Leigh Manukau [Parent Elected Trustee] and Kimi Parata [Parent Elected Trustee/Deputy Chairperson]
- Administration Matters
|Welcome and Karakia
|Thank you, Darryl for the Karakia,
|Conflict of Interest
|As per the Agenda.
Board Members all declared that they did not have a conflict of any matters on the agenda.
|Welcome to Tamara
|Tamara had shared RTLB documents with the Board
– Incredible years team has had a very successful
– RRR Payment in recognition of IY Leadership
– Board approval to offer this payment
– Recommended by Pauline
– October report taken as read. Tamara highlighted
the number of cases. A very steady increase
– Well placed to spend all LSF for 2023.Approve
– October report
– Draft budget for 2024
– PD has had a dramatic decrease. If the 2024
funding is more than expected PD will receive
– Draft budget approved in principle and to be
confirmed once funding for 2024 is approved.
|Confirmation of previous minutes
|Moved that the Board accepts the minutes of the previous meeting held on 18th September 2023 as true and correct
– Peter appears twice.
|PC, LT, Carried
|PC, LT Carried
Thank you letter, certificate and koha, to Al-Mustafa Jamia Masjid Mosque, Otahuhu, for their very generous donation of food and support for the Hui/Fono
- Strategic Monitoring
|Handout – Tongan and Niuean feedback
– Discussion at November meeting
– Fijian and Indian feedback will be available for the
– Samoan and Cook Island hui/fono on Thursday 2nd
November – Board members will attend.Police clearances for Board Members – Board discussed and are more than happy to accept this.ERO – suggested we move from policies that are NZSTA based and move to School Docs. $2800.00 per year
CCTV cameras in the school – Board discussed.
Finance – increase in SAJ financial contract fees
|Approve finance report
Jeremy moved the financial report along with Visa payments for both School and RTLB accepted
– Fixed Asset Register approved
– Depreciation rates approved
Draft budget not accepted. Members have taken copies away and will discuss fully at the November meeting when Anna Rutherford will be present.
DW, MK, Carried
|Staffing – employing for 2024
Board approval to over staff at the beginning of 2024.We currently own 780 chrome books. Will need to replace approximately 75 for the start of 2024.Money in bike track grant unspent. Have tried to get permission to buy a trailer – this may not be accepted but may let us keep this money and use for repairs.
Thank you to all staff for hui/fono – trumpets from the Board. Barb to liaise with Esther and Sanjeev
ERO – Draft ERO report – all done
Pauline’s Appraisal – Jeremy and Michael to meet to discuss performance and growth.
Principals report was accepted.
PC, DW, Carried
|August Reports shared with Board
– Ministry have approved money for construction
contract for weather tightness. Unfortunately,
due to ‘waiting’ time the price has increased
by $350,000. This increase needs to be
– Mt Richmond temporary upgrade has been
PC, LS, Carried
|Data shared with Board on the school lunches
Looking for new Provider in 2024
- Other Business
|How many out of zone students does the Board expect to accept for 2024
– To date – 4 Tironui and 11 on compassionate
– Hoping that this is now the end of compassionate
– 2025 will quite possibly be zero.
|Reunion [Foundation students] – Saturday 18th November 1.00 – 4.00 p.m.
– No Board members are available to attend
|Thank you to Jeremy and Kimi.
– Copy included in Board Folder
| – Samoan/Cook Island Hui/Fono Thursday 2nd November
at 6.00 p.m.
– Rising Stars – Thursday 9th November at 6.00 pm
– TOD Monday 13th November
– Friday 24th November – 6.00 p.m. Board dinner
at One Tree Grill
– Monday 27th November – Board Meeting at 6.00 pm.
– Supreme Prize Giving – Wednesday 13th December at
11.00 a.m. Please let Barb know if you will be attending
so that we can allocate you to a prize to present.
– Grad Dinner and Dance – Wednesday 13th
December at 6.00 p.m.
– Farewell for Ihia Reuben [Kapa Haka Tutor] – 2.00
p.m. Wednesday 13th December – TBC
|If Board Members are not using their device can they please bring it to the November meeting and we will keep them safe here at school.
- Meeting Closure
|At 7.45 p.m. JN moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
|Out of In Committee
|The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 8.15 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.
– One Tree Grill booking for Friday 24th November at
|Main Meeting closed
|Meeting closed at 8.30 p.m.
|Monday 27th November at 6.00 p.m. in the Main Meeting Room.