BoT Minutes – 1st November 2021

by | Dec 1, 2021

Monday 1st November 2021 at 6.00 p.m. on line [Level 3 Lockdown]

Jeremy Nicholls [Chairperson], Pauline Cornwell [Principal], Peter Cann, Mohammed Sahu-Khan and Darryl Wilson [MoE appointed Trustees], Kirsty Ellis and Leigh Manukau  [Elected Trustee] and Heather Bates [Staff Elected Trustee]

Peter arrived at 6.50 p.m.

In Attendance
Tess Carolissen [Executive Officer], Anna Rutherford [SAJ – Financial Support]and Barbara Ferregel [BoT Secretary]

Thank you, Jeremy for the Karakia

Thank you to the full Board for attending yet another online forum. Great to see everyone. Let’s hope we can meet face to face on the 29th November.

Welcome to Anna Rutherford – SAJ [Financial Support for EO]
–  Anna introduced herself.
–  Anna presented the new reports up on screen
–  Main financial reports – to meet Kiwi Park reporting systems that schools should be using. [PIS will continue to use Xero also]
–  Financial report summary
–  Board feel the reports are a lot easier to follow and understand
–  If there is anything the BoT would like showing on the reports please feed back to Anna.
–  A lot of tidying up has gone on. Still a few things to go.
–  So nice to see Anna and Tess working so well together. The BoT thank you both for these reports and all the work that has gone on behind the
–   Things are looking good for the up and coming Audit.
–   Asset Register needs quite a bit of work still
Approved        Kirsty
Seconded       Jeremy
Carried           Unanimously

Thank you Anna and Tess – Both Anna and Tess left the meeting at 6:45 p.m.

  • Darryl – coding, reclassification/adjustments over the last few months.
    • Clearer now with Anna assisting. Pauline is now feeling more comfortable with Anna supporting and her oversight with the finances. External provider is very normal and common in schools.

Previous minutes
–   from 27th September 2021

Moved as a correct record                   Heather
Seconded                                             Kirsty
Carried                                                 Unanimously

As this was a google meeting the minutes will be signed by the Board Chair at the next face to face meeting.
Matters arising – Nil


  • Security at GSR – stone wall has been removed
    • Security fencing going up and a security gate will be installed – with a camera and speaker on it. Visitors or late students will need to speak into the speaker system to get access to the School [same as Motatau Road gate]
  • Water tank has been installed for the gardens behind the Tech Block.
  • Matting under the adventure playground has been destroyed during lockdown by visitors and their dog – was witnessed by Staff.
  • Watershed report September shared with the Board
    • Contractors have worked in the School during Level 3 when no one else was in the school.
  • Pauline is doing the Property to allow Tess to focus on the Finances. She will possibly continue to do this with Craig.
  • Property plans for 2022 to be discussed at the next Board Meeting. Including the space where the ‘old’ hall stood. This is in keeping with the Schools Master Plan.
  • Report accepted.
    Moved                Darryl
    Seconded           Mohammed
    Carried               Unanimously

RTLB Qualitative Report – Pauline explained to the Board what a Qualitative Report involves –
–              Every term the schools have to ensure the RTLBs are meeting their milestone obligations.
RTLB report on what challenges they have and how they met their obligations.
The Ministry looks at risks and issues and find ways to over come them.

Tamara has sent it in draft to the Ministry. The Board had received copies to approve
Moved              Jeremy
Carried             Unanimously

Principal’s Report
–    Handbooks
–  Updated copies had been shared.
Moved                   Jeremy
Carried                   Unanimously

  • Employment
    • 2 new teachers for 2022 have been appointed
      • Two permanent staff leaving. One returning to Australia and the other is relocating to the South Island.
    • RTLB
      • Had appointed a new RTLB but unfortunately this person has since resigned. n
      • 2 vacancies in the latest Gazette
    • Overnight camp approved at the last board Meeting – has not been cancelled
    • Social Worker in Schools – Chelly has moved to Avondale. Waiting for confirmation of Chelly’s replacement.
    • Attendance Services – current one is finishing in May. Waiting on a Ministry decision.
    • If families are happy to. They have been asked to share student’s vaccination status through a school vaccination email address. This is managed by the Admin Staff and transferred into our SMS.
      • Guidelines are very clear to staff what is required.
      • Data is collected from School Staff [including SDA and Mt Richmond], RTLB, Contractors, Relievers and Board Members.
      • Whanau coming in to school –
        • Waiting on Government re verifying vaccination status and until this comes through we are saying ‘no’ whanau on the school grounds.
      • Enrolments
        • Slowly getting to our 700 target for 2022.
      • Strategic discussion re Board Elections in 2022
        • Bernardine Vester has been confirmed as our Returning Officer
          • Signed contract to be returned to Bernardine
          • Board Elections are September 2022
          • Hybrid Board – Boards constitution had been permanently changed to have 4 ministry appointment trustees and 3 community elected trustees.
          • Long term – do we go back to a ‘normal’ Board
            • Members to think about this and discuss at the next meeting.
            • Darryl suggested we look at keeping the Hybrid Board at this stage and look at a step-down process after the next term.
            • Invite Corinne Peters to the next Board Meeting to discuss this matter with the Board. Pauline will speak with Corinne.
          • NZSTA Membership
            • Renew this for 2022
          • We have 80% student engagement over lockdown. This has been fantastic
  • Moved all the recommendations be accepted Kirsty
    Seconded            Leigh
    Carried                 Unanimously

–    Letter of thanks to local Board or the funding received for the Bike Track.

Other Business
–              School Trustee Elections – Extension for 2022 to September 2022.
–              New addition to Enrolment Pack for students ‘Expectations of Students’
–              Approval of the Staff/Student Well Being Handbook
–              Grant application – Tu Manawa for the container and sleepers for Bile Track
–              Applied last year and due to Covid lockdown and unfortunately we are unable to reapply.

 At 7.45 p.m. Jeremy moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.
                 Carried Unanimously
The Board moved to the In Committee meeting.
The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 8.00 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.
The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.

 Meeting closed at 8.00 p.m.

Next Meeting on 29th November 2021 at 6.00 p.m.