BoT Minutes – 23rd March 2022

by | Jun 1, 2022

Monday 28th March 2022 6.00 p.m. in the Principals Office

Jeremy Nicholls [Chairperson], Peter Cann – [MoE appointed Trustee], Leigh Manukau – online [Elected Trustee], Heather Bates [Staff Elected Trustee] and Pauline Cornwell –  [Principal]

Kirsty Ellis [Elected Member] Darryl Wilson and Mohammed Sahu-Khan [MoE appointed Trustees]

In Attendance
Anna Rutherfurd [on line] – Financial Support, Barbara Ferregel [BoT Secretary]

Thank you, Leigh for the Karakia

After lots of IT glitches we finally got going at 6.10 p.m.

Lynn and Sanjeev will report in May with the EOY Data Report since we had 3 apologies.

Previous minutes
        from – 28th February 2022

Moved as a correct record               Jeremy
Carried                                             Unanimously

Matters arising – Nil

        Anna Rutherfurd, SAJ Services, attended the meeting online -welcome Anna
o   Reports had been shared with the Board via the Board Folder
o   Anna also shared the financial reports with the Board on screen
o   Reports on screen as at 28th February

  • Received a Grant for $29,000.00 [NZ Lotteries Board]
  • $20,000.00 that the Board allocated will no longer need to be used.

o   Laptops for the Board are still to be ordered.

Anna is helping Lee-Anne [new Financial Manager] to settle in.
–   Training on Thursday around Xero etc.

Audit update
        Going very smoothly
o   Few queries to answer which were all sent back to them.
o   Hoping to get the final version in April for the May meeting.

Actions/Agreements from financial report
        Approve the February financials

Jeremy thanked Anna for her support through the transition and for training and supporting the new FM
o   Pauline – moved
o   Seconded – Jeremy
o   Carried – unanimously

Anna left the meeting at 6.30 p.m.

Principal’s Report

        Shared with the Board in the Board Folder
o   Training webinars from the Ministry – Pauline encourages the members to attend
    where appropriate.
o   Principal’s appraisal process is changing dramatically next year
    §  Members are encouraged to go on to the Teaching Council website and sit through
        the Board training of appraisal updates
o   While Pauline was on leave, she kept a timesheet of her Hours of work.
o   EDUCA – 33 students still to be linked in. Working with these families to support them
    in connecting to EDUCA
o   Sports events to start again at the beginning of Term 3.
o   Travelwise programme – very strong in the school.
o   William Pike – prompting activities – like a very young Duke of Wellington
o   SKODEL report – student levels of engagement and ‘feelings’ at school. How can we
    improve the tone of the classroom and how can we support individual students?
o    STRIVE finishes May – in the process of developing a new programme run by the
o   Student Counselor in the school from Auckland University
o   Mandates re vaccinations for Workers in Schools to be removed on the 4th April 2022.
o   Kahui Ako – group meet last week as a Group. Papatoetoe Central has also joined the
o   Staff elections for NZEI – Kumar Singh PIS, Trish Porter RTLB, Diane Schutt for Support

        Severe Flooding
o   21st March
o   Surface flooding in our Library, bathroom and corridor
    §  Carpet has been lifted.

MOE insurance will cover the costs of replacement
        Mt Richmond – flooding
o   MoE had agreed the buildings need to be replaced and funding for the replacements have been allocated
    §  Now report is stating – Engage with an Architect to do a 10 year master plan to
        confirm where everything is going.
    §  Master plan needs to include roll growth for up to 1200 students and roll growth for
      the special needs before  they can confirm the programme can start
·        Mt Richmond students can not be on site – not safe
      ·        Staff can not come in until the building is dried out
      ·        Mt Richmond students and staff are currently working from home
      ·        MoE are looking for temporary classrooms until they can move into their new

        New admin building – at the stage of appointing builders

        5YA finishes in July next year. Prior to this we need to write a new 5YA and new 10YPP
o   Near the end of the year Kris will attend a board meeting and decisions can be made as
    to what the school would like to put on the list
o   Pauline will invite Kris to join the board for a workshop.

        Ratify from the Principal’s report
o   Employment
o   Finance report

Property Report
o   Bank statements
o   Analysis of Variance – done at the February meeting
o   EOY Finance report to the Auditors

Moved the Principal’s Report is accepted and ratified

Moved             Peter
Seconded        Heather
Carried             Unanimously

 Other business
o   New funding applied for by Andrea Homan.
    §  Success with NZ Lotteries Board for $29.000.00
o   Andrea received a letter from the Board thanking her for the success with grants for
    the bike track
     Moved               Jeremy
    Carried               Unanimously

Board Elections
        Nominations – online also do:-
o   Reminders in the newsletter/school links/facebook/website

        There is a dedicated desk top that allows Pauline and Craig to go back through cameras if needed
        12 cameras
        Craig has an app and can dial into the app and check any cameras at any time

 Skodel Report
        Board would like to continue to be updated
o   One update in March and one in November and if there are any concerning trends

Deejays lunches
        Working very well
        Marie Leota keeps in touch regularly with Deejays
        No complaints from students or staff at this stage.

 At 7.15  p.m. Jeremy moved that the Public be excluded from discussion of confidential items relating to personnel matters because of their sensitive nature.

Ÿ  Carried                     Unanimously

The Board moved to the In Committee meeting.

The ‘in committee’ discussion closed at 7.45 p.m. and the regular meeting resumed.

The Board Chair and Principal agreed to carry out the actions outlined in the ‘in-committee’ meeting.

Meeting closed at 7.50 p.m.

Next Meeting on 30th May 2022 at 6.00 p.m.